View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

[ QUOTE ]
For virtually any murder, someone will want the murderer dead, and when faced with the prospect of telling someone that the murder of their loved one was not "severe enough", I have no doubt that most people would back down. The same goes for subjective determination of being "really very positively sure" that the defendent is guilty.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this different when we have the death penalty than it is if we give people time in prison? Some people will argue that "how come he only got 12 years when someone last week got 50 years, or someone 2 months ago got life?". This is as much an argument against varying length of prison-sentences as it is against death penalty. With the death penalty we still have the possibility to carefully state which crimes and situations and limitations it applies to.

And "really very positively sure" also applies when we just have a prison sentence.

Your remarks doesnt seem to deal with the death penalty itself, just how the public mob react to criminals and the legal system, and I dont feel comfortable basing our laws on what some mob feels in some hypotethical situations.