View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: November [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Shemp.

What sort of set/rep regiment did you use to improve your OHS? Vary?

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a few cracks at it with a barbell first. Didn't do very well, but in retrospect what this did was enforce on me the need to keep the bar on the correct path and my need for better shoulder flexibility.

I was able to take this away and work with a PVC pipe on the movement and do shoulder dislocates. The dislocates gave me confidence about where to hold the bar, and how to keep my upper back tight throughout the movement in a very non-threatening situation. I occasionally still do this just to reenforce the movement.

I was very quickly then able to do 1x15 with the barbell, and then added weight to 95#. From there I built to 1x15x95 as part of my workout. And if I was feeling frisky and it didn't mess with my planned work, I might do more sets.

This process took about a month. It felt as much like acquiring a skill as anything to do with strength.

If you are recovering the bar to your shoulders, you should be careful to absorb it with bent knees.

There's really no concern about lower back rounding because you can't keep the weight overhead if you lower back wanted to get into the act-- but it won't anyway, because it has it's own fish to fry.

My concern is with needing to dump backwards, which I've never done-- and I hope in the moment of truth I'll let the bar go and get out of the way. This would be a good thing to practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the gospel right here!

my path was/is very similar with this lift.

keeping active shoulders really is a key that is ignored by most when they start doing it and if you do that when practicing under no load it helps it become automatic when it is most essential. great advice as always shemp. J.