View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Can Democrat Leaders Lead?

prior to the Republican takeover of all branches in 2000, Congress operated at least moderately in a bi-partisan fashion. They did SOMETHING - like a 200+ Billion surplus instead of a 300 Billion deficit. They actually considered Bin Laden a threat before 9/11 - something GWB couldn't do with a handpicked terrorism expert and all the intelligence of the last 8 yrs at his disposal.

as of 2000, the Republicans have so [censored] over the rules and means necessary to bring a bill to committee that Democrats are literally left trying to find a conference room because the Republicans won't tell the Democratic members of the committees where the meetings are held -

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/sto...t_congress_ever - good article describing how badly Republicans have destroyed the rules and civility that Congress enjoyed to a degree at least up to 2000.

as another writer put it - no Congressional rule, tradition or privilege was too longstanding or honored that it couldn't be turned aside by Republicans for personal partisan gain.

Whether or not they can lead is irrelevant - they CAN'T be any worse - and we've established even Saddam is better at running a country then GWB, so maybe when the trial is over we can bring him over here to advise GWB.

Therefore, your question is pretty much unnecessary - after seeing the core values of my country taken apart by honorless men over the last 6 yrs I'd vote for Putin before I ever vote for another one of these Republicans.

from the article -

""The 109th Congress is so bad that it makes you wonder if democracy is a failed experiment," says Jonathan Turley, a noted constitutional scholar and the Shapiro Professor of Public Interest Law at George Washington Law School. "I think that if the Framers went to Capitol Hill today, it would shake their confidence in the system they created. Congress has become an exercise of raw power with no principles -- and in that environment corruption has flourished. The Republicans in Congress decided from the outset that their future would be inextricably tied to George Bush and his policies. It has become this sad session of members sitting down and drinking Kool-Aid delivered by Karl Rove. Congress became a mere extension of the White House."

rb