Thread: Playing NL5
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Playing NL5

You ask a lot of questions for which good players probably have few answers--good players usually don't play $.01/$.02 NL.

I'll try to venture a few, but first we need to know: full ring or 6-max? I think you'll have greater profit potential playing 6-max, especially since 6-max games are much more beatable as you move up the limit ladder.

Limping in the SB is mainly about habits IMO. I would limp somewhat light since you generally have good implied odds, but only limp hands that have SOME potential besides flopping trips. Limping 38o is a leak, even if it's only a 1c leak. But PF play on the small blind won't make or break you at these stakes.

As far as tightening up goes: play showdown poker. Bet when you have think you the best hand, call or fold when you don't (depending).

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a difference between NL{2,5} and NL10 ?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes there is. You can play a solid loose-aggressive game at $10NL and count on people folding to your c-bets regularly. You can put people on hands with some degree of success in $10NL. You can expect people to make some attempts at figuring out your hand and playing accordingly at $10NL. You'll find some multitabling tight aggressives at $10NL who are consistently considering your hand ranges and table image. None of this is true in $.01/$.02--that is a game of pot equity and implied odds.

[ QUOTE ]
I played for about one hour on PS's NL5, 3-tabling, being dealt 225 hands, and got 15c benefit (even if I was at +1$ at one point). Is that a very bad result ? what should be a stardart result for that amount of play ?

[/ QUOTE ] I think any player should be able to beat this game for 10PTBB ($.40) per 100 hands if they are at all good, so you should expect to make at least a buck over such a session.

But not every session is going to go that well. I've 8-tabled $.01/$.02 for over an hour and had a losing session before. So don't worry about whatever your results were. 225 means almost nothing as a sample--play a couple thousand hands and get back to us.

Another thing: 3-bets preflop almost always mean the villian has a big hand (JJ+ or AK). Use that knowledge to your advantage.