View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Theory: preflop 3x the BB raise from the Button

[ QUOTE ]
But when I think about it, assuming that the Villain calls and folds equally regardless of my bet size, I'd rather bloat the pot when I have the button and am in position. The reason being that the avg pot size will be larger by the river where I can get more $$$ with thin value bets and what not.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bit confused, because huge parts of our button opening range aren't typically the sorts of hand which will generate thin value betting opportunities for us on the river. Hands like 75o on the button make money because we have fold equity on all streets, and can stack opponents with 2 pr+.

In fact raising for 2 or 3 bb rather than 4 or 5 bb from the button is obv preserving more implied odds, and making position (relatively) even more important.

So long as

1) you are opening with ATC that can make a straight
2) you have as much FE with a small raise as a bigger one; and
3) the blinds will 3 bet frequently

it's much better to open for less. You want to maximise implied odds, not pot size.

And one more thing, the correct counter strategy to a minraise on the button is much less likely to be raise or fold, and more likely to be a good old fashioned call, which TAGs are unlikely to adjust to in the current climate.