View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: tell us about your job

What do you do? Head Athletic Trainer for 2nd biggest High School in Massachusetts. I love it. I get school vacations off, get paid cash for playoff games and neutral site games (we hold most of post season competitions for all sports), and get the summer off. I had last week off and may or may not work 8 hours this week. Again, getting paid cash for it.

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? You need a Bachelors degree in Athletic Training and pass the certification and licensure exam to be able to practice in Massachusetts.

What is a typical day like? I go in at 2:30PM and if there are no night games I leave at 5:30-6PM. Otherwise I'll be there until 9-9:30PM. Hardly any weekends.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? Problems are that I have a bad back and can't stand for long periods of time, which effects me mostly during football games. Also, most of my kids don't have health insurance, so I consistently bring kids to an orthopedist I know who used to work for the Cleveland Browns. If I don't bring them to the doctor, usually that means they have no way to get there.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? Meh, I'm pretty laid back. It's annoying when we hold wrestling tournaments and more than two wrestlers start bleeding at once. All the coaches obviously expect me to get to them first.

Elation? Thank you's from parents. I never had an Athletic Trainer, and if I did I may not have a bad back and could've continued playing college football. I'm glad the same thing won't happen to my kids.

How much do you make?$38k/year. That is in the upper upper category of Athletic Trainers, even if they have a Masters Degree. I'm pretty lucky and negotiated my original salary fairly well though. Elsewhere an Athletic Trainer starting at a High School can expect to make $26-$32k/year. I'm not sure how you can live in this state making that much money, but people do. Thank science I can play poker.