View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Re: And good web sites for kids? 12 years old and less.

Ditto. If I had kids I think I'd throw a hammer through the t.v. At least if they just go over to someone else's house to watch t.v., they'll get some socialization in there by accident.

Diebitter, lots of toys have websites built around them these days. Barbie, etc. Disney has Toontown, I think, etc.

And there is a huge lego community out there that is pretty awesome. There are videos of people's lego creations and step by step tutorials from simple to unbelievably elaborate, design discussion and advice, a number of contests including national ones, etc. It's hard to think of anything more wholesome than legos, and frankly if I had some here right now it would be impossible not to play with them myself. That's something you and the kids can do together without your being bored silly. Create new stuff together, then build stuff on your own, and intersperse with learning projects where the kid picks one design and you both build it, then your turn to pick one, etc. Keep or destroy as desired -- a perpetual sandbox and family activity. Or at least have the kid turn on to an online community that's actually about self-expression and accomplishing something, besides the pure yapping.

I think that's what I would do. Good for a really broad span of ages too.

Man quits job as lawyer to build legos