View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Cash game pros - lifestyle (and numbers) questions

From reading this thread I a few thoughts, not of which will probably run together in any sensible order:

- You live in Canada, and because you are talking about snowboarding in November there is a good chance it is western Canada. This is ideal for someone that wants to maintain resemblance of a normal life. Why? Party Poker. Peak hours at party poker are like noon-6pm MST. Since I've moved to Calgary, I love that I can play the majority of my hours during the afternoon and then do a later night session if I feel like it. Many of you Americans could do this as well, playing some of the euro sites.

-social life: Having just moved to a new city, this is one thing that is a struggle. I've joined a couple hockey teams, but all that's going to do is maybe meet me a couple drinking buddies or so. But most the guys are married.

You certainly don't have an easy social network like you would with a real job or when you are in school. So, you have to actively search out new things to do. I'm constantly looking for interesting activities that are going on (festivals, shows, etc). I went to a professional bull riding competition a couple weeks ago lol. Unfortunately, I don't have a broad range of interests so I haven't done much. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But, I am going to be taking an avalanche course in the new year and will be looking for other like minded activities to find people that have similar interests.

-age: I think there are pros and cons to be a young internet player (I am not one, 29). Being young means you have lots of flexibility, and I high tolerance for risk. If you screw up you can easily explain away your year or two of a poker pro as an experience builder. You can also go back to school and still be young when you graduate.

However, all your friends are young too. At this point in their lives, they are not settle in their careers. Many work service industry jobs, and have strange work schedule themselves. So, sitting in Mon-Friday playing poker every night is more anti-social because often there is mid week stuff going on.

I, on the other hand, am old. People that I know are mostly settled in their careers and most have mon-fri 9-5 jobs. So, not doing anything social mon-fri is completely normal. I just make sure I don't miss out on anything on the weekends because of poker. I actually rarely play poker on the weekends.

-volume: I don't play a lot. I should play more, but it's tough to motivate myself when I'm currently making more than I ever have, more than any of my friends, and more than both my parents combined.

But, I don't let it bother me. I'm very happy with my lifestyle. Money isn't a concern. If I want to fly home for a week, I can any time I want. If I want to go to vegas for the weekend, I could. If I want to take off mid week and go skiing for a few days, I can. And I don't feel guilty. That's why I'm playing poker. If I had of just concentrated on my career, finished my masters, etc. I'd probably be making similar money but with none of the flexibility. For this I am happy. Of course, I want to make more to compensate for the risk that goes along with play poker for a living, but that'll come with time.