View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Music Thread: Songs to hear at least once before you die

- Roy Buchanan thankfully doesn't sing on this one but his guitar hits just about every note right in this version of Down By the River. The sick thing is this might be the second best version out there (I got another what may be better version from my brother's massive CD collection).

- Despite a downwardly spiraling career (although I highly recommend her first two solo albums) I still have great memories of Maria Mckee singing Shelter from her Lone Justice days in a mid-eighties Providence, Rhode Island show and in an acoustic set in a Hollywood semi-dive last year. More Maria in a electrifying live show from her Lone Justice days. Edited to add To Miss Someone from her first solo album.

- Cowboy Junkies have no hits but a consistent body of work stretching back 18 years or so. If I had to pick one song it might be Sun Comes Up, It's Tuesday Morning. Nah, can't pick one, so check out Midguided Angel from their consensus best album Trinity Sessions (recorded in one day in an empty church).

~ Rick