View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Ask me about growing up with a Bi-Polar parent

[ QUOTE ]
did she ever take that bi- polar test? i think its pretty new; its a measure of 1 - 100 on how 'bi - polar' u are. Stephen Fry (English presenter / comedian) got sumthin like 65 - 70, and they were saying he got it pretty bad. Your mum, sounds like she was affected a lot worse. Altho, i dread to think how bad / primitive tthe treatmnt was 40 years ago.

Dominic was it lithium th med ur dad came off? i know taking it and coming off it is alot worse then never taking it

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly do not know what tests they ever did on her to come up with the Manic Depression diagnosis but if you read the definitions of Bi-Polar (or manic depression in the old days) she fit it to a tee.

From what I have read, a LOT of artistic/creative/intelligent type people are/were either Bi-Polar or likely Bi-polar. Stuff like Handel writing the messiah in 30 hours straight or something like that.

From what I have been told and seen the doctors just didn't really know what to do with this stuff 4 years ago! They were still trying to figure it out and likely still are. I know in her experiences lithium was the only thing that finally gave her some type of stability. Even on that, though, she would still flip out about every two years or so.