View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Alcohol coming to Turning Stone?

1. I can not see how they will be able to serve alcohol and keep the minimum age for gambling at 18. I believe that was one of the reasons Turning Stone could allow those at 18-20 to enter, because there was no alcohol.

2. Do not expect the "negotiations" between Turning Stone and the State to be over quickly. Turning Stone has done nothing but step all over the State government; from the tax-free cigarettes to the claim that it was "sacred Indian land" and that they could do and build as they pleased. To the best of my knowledge, Turning Stone pays no taxes to the State, so do not expect the State to turn around and give them what it wants.

In order to receive approval to serve alcohol, Turning Stone is going to have to "give up" something to the State, and I see that being the taxes on cigarettes.

I grew up in NY and at Turning Stone; I was there for my 18th birthday. It is a great place and it is good to see the growth they have experienced since my first visit in 1998 and when I recently visited 12/2006, and they are investing money back into the facility. However, they may be in for a rough battle here, "banning" alcohol (instead of not serving it and allowing patrons to bring/consume their own) and trying to negotiate with the State of NY.