View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Cash game pros - lifestyle (and numbers) questions

Hours: ~30/week.
Sleep: Irregular, but it's been that way for me since I was 12.
Exercise: I fist-pump on the regular when I drag a hudge pot.
Mobnies: I make an hourly rate that would make a Yale law graduate jealous.
Social Life: What? I'm introverted anyway, so I don't care. My girlfriend and I basically keep to ourselves. Sometimes we go see a movie or hang out with some other couple we know, but we generally just chill at home.
Payment: I've been at this for a while, and I'm getting kind of rich. I just leave about 2000 BB in the poker accounts and stick the rest in index funds, leaving me enough to handle expenses and things of that nature. I also maintain a cash BR of 1000 BB and leave it in a safe deposit box. If I ever have a huge downswing, I can liquidate money from my investments and stick it back in poker accounts. Thus far, over the span of several years, I haven't had to do that.
Why the Lifestyle is Good: Being a cash game pro means you have a wide-open schedule and you can pretty much do whatever you want, whenever you want. No boss, no rules, no coworkers, no tournament schedules, no staking arrangements, none of that. You have total personal freedom and complete responsibility for yourself. This is the main draw for me because, if there's one thing I really hate, it's jobs.