View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 02:27 AM
 is offline

Default Re: Brag: Lloyd Carr hopefully fired

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I lost all respect for Notre Dame the way they dumped George O'Leary two weeks after hiring him then forced him to publicly apologize for meaningless discrepancies on his resume. I doubt that's standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Wikipedia:
"On the resume, O'Leary claimed that he had earned a master's degree from New York University when in actuality, he only attended the school but never graduated. He also claimed that he had earned three letters in football at the University of New Hampshire, when the school claimed he had not even played in one game."

Firing people who lie on their resume is very, very standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most employers will perform due diligence prior to hiring a new candidate, particularly for such a high profile gig as this. Notre Dame held a nationally televised press conference proudly announcing George O'Leary as their new head football coach. It was perfect timing for the perfect coach with the perfect surname, and there were no second guessers to be found. Problem was that after Notre Dame "fired" O'Leary 2 weeks later, they resorted to the "babe in the woods" routine, pleading ignorance upon hiring O'Leary just days earlier. This smacked of total bs, as they could've easily verified background info BEFORE hiring the guy.

I don't know the real reason O'Leary was dumped by Notre Dame, but it didn't have anything to do with some insignificant bs from 30 years ago unless O'Leary was banging the Provost or something to that effect. Lying on his resume my ass - I'll bet he used that exact same "resume" at Georgia Tech, for the Vikings, and the UCF Knights.

Despite this embarrassing fiasco (embarrassing for Notre Dame, that is) O'Leary has continued his successful career while ND continues floundering year after year with marginal recruits...