View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Is this considered offensive?

A few points:

1) Why are people saying it wasn't funny? I thought it was a really cool impression and well done. I don't think many people could have done that nearly as well as he did.

2) The connection to blackface doesn't make any sense because he was impersonating a Jamaican. Painting your face black doesn't automatically make your act offensive. It all depends on the context. In this case, this has nothing to do with african-americans, let alone racism. A much better comparison is Chapelle dressing up like a white person.

3) I don't think Daniel should have to censor himself if he isn't being offensive just to stay away from controversy or anything like that. Sure, this might have cost him some money and PR, but that's his choice. You guys are basically advocating him to sell out. He's already rich anyway; it's not as if he is going to lose a lot of utility from that video. We always make a big deal out of celebrities and politicians being boring, PC, and dishonest, yet when someone tries to express their personality, they get criticized.