View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: How did you get where you current are?

I got here in a funny way. My Culinary buddies all told me I was a natural NL player - tournies especially. Hell, even strangers would tell me I would/did make a great NL tourney player. So a little over a year ago I put some money on PP and started playing SNGs. Wasn't too long before I was $1400!!! in the red. So I quit poker. Then I started playing 3/6 live. I recorded 5/6 positive sessions and decided I had it down. So I go back to party and start playing more. I'm $2400 ($2400!!!!) in the red before I start making it up. I'm playing 2 50 sngs and 2 5/10 tables. Well, I notice that no matter how I am doing in the SNGs, I am winning in the limit. So I turn over to limit.

I work my way up to 10/20 and then I notice this guy. He is a super tag, my PT has him at 14/10 and I respect the hell out of his bets and his play. So I come up with a list of questions I want to ask him about limit and about poker, and I send him a buddy list message asking if he wouldn't mind talking to me for a minute. He replies, "DUDE I GOT 13 TABLES GOING RIGHT NOW. NOT A GOOD TIME!!!" I give him my AIM, and he messages me later on. He introduces me to 4+ tabling and to 2+2. On the tables, he notices donkish moves I make and corrects me. I owe that guy a lot.

I win a little tourney called the Sunday Stars 350K which helps me move up to 15/30 permenantly (I had been bouncing back and forth before). 3months later I'm making about twice as much per week in 10 hours of poker as I am in 40 hours of cooking. So I quit cooking in May. Now it is full time poker and my wallet couldn't thank me enough. I miss cooking terribly though. I am a happy person when I cook. I will go back to it after a while.

As far as books, sure I've read the usuals and they have helped a little, but mostly I learned from intuition, experience, these boards, and that guy. During my SNG days, I would write down all the "poker rules" I learned. This helped me think about what I was doing.

Anyway, if you find something in there that helps, that's awesome. It may just be me rambling.