View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain what the PPA wants? and why

[ QUOTE ]
If I had to think about what a Poker Players' Alliance would do, I would think it would work for the better welfare of the players. Maybe monitoring poker sites, doing regulation. For instance, with Absolute Poker, where was the PPA? There are still numerous players who are short money owed to them from Absolute. Shouldn't the PPA be working to get these players all of their money back? In addition, there are a lot of accounts that have been hacked by a few individuals. The PPA could work to help bring about criminal prosecution of them. Also, while I pretty much trust the sites in their taking steps to lock players' accounts for using bots or other illegal actions, having a board of online players being able to see the evidence to ensure that it is legitimate should be something that the PPA does. Also, the question about taxes is asked a ton of times and it is overall a very gray area. The PPA could research the tax code and come up with suggestions tax filings. It could also recomend CPA's who are well-versed in online poker tax filings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate those suggestions and I'll bring them to the attention of PPA. I think you have some good ideas. Thanks.

If you're wondering why PPA isn't already doing this stuff, I think it's important to remember that PPA isn't as large (in terms of numbers of employees) as some think. The challenge is to not spread so thin that the main efforts are negatively affected. PPA is expanding into other areas like the ones you mentioned and will continue to do so, but will only be able to when it is ready. After all, the prior leadership wasn't even able to execute on parts of its basic mission. PPA has really turned around over the past few months. I'm starting to feel like we have some momentum, especially with the recent Harrah's announcement concerning the future of online poker in America.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what type of online poker does the PPA want? I saw Tuff_Fish's trip report, and that was kind of what got me interested. His idea of what online poker should be is extremely different than mine. If I was forced to play just 1 table of online poker, I would quit as I would find it way too boring. I remember reading his plan to get poker legalized in California, and thinking that if I had an opportunity to vote for it, I would vote NO. I think the PPA has an image problem as well which would be much better helped by getting some younger members. I don't have statistics of the age breakdowns, but at least for the one forum I mostly post in here, MSNL, just about everyone is 18-25

[/ QUOTE ]

PPA wants the marketplace to determine what poker is offered online. I envision a poker market serviced by many sites, such that players can choose what they want.

None of the proposals supported by PPA have endorsed state-run games or the creation of monopolies.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the PPA has an image problem as well which would be much better helped by getting some younger members. I don't have statistics of the age breakdowns, but at least for the one forum I mostly post in here, MSNL, just about everyone is 18-25.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in my 30s. I'm pretty sure John Pappas is as well. I hope we're not too old to serve. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I actually don't even think that I'm a member of the PPA. I never wanted to waste my time playing in the freerolls. About me, I'm a 20 year old college student. Although I'll be taking a hefty paycut, I don't plan on playing professionally when I graduate.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are other ways to join, but that's totally up to you. I'll not solicit members here. I will suggest that we poker players are far better off with the PPA than without. Anyone here think we'd be better off if PPA folded tomorrow?

Please let me know if you have any more questions, either here or at the PPA forum.

Rich Muny
Member, PPA Board of Directors