View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Buy in short to protect your bankroll!

Yawn. This has been talked to death, so I'm seriously cutting down the keystrokes I devote to it. Not cutting down enough though.

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Flaw #1: Short-stack strategy gives up your biggest poker advantage.</font>

As students of the game, we are better players than our opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on "us", and depends on "our opponents". No one advocates a short stack in games involving inferior deep-stacked opponents except for the other legitimate reasons cited (e.g., bankroll).

You'll see some hands posted here with bad postflop decisions. (I'm hardly one to talk, but I'm referring to hands with what even I can see are obvious blunders.) I hope those players take the OP to heart, because their money builds my bankroll the same as non-2+2ers.

The pedagogical point is valid but each of us has to determine how to allocate our scarce resources between donking off our training budget and building bankroll. You can also learn a great deal from sitting behind a short stack, tossing cards in the muck and trying to put people on hands, and once you double through then you gradually start playing deeper stacks. It's not a binary thing -- "I'm going to never play a deep stack in my life and cash out once my stack gets to 40 BBL." You just learn gradually rather than throwing yourself in the deep end of the pool.

But hey, Esteemed Beginner, as long as you're willing to subsidize your own learning, play a deep stack and gain all the education you want. Again, I'd love to help you gain experience for the right price.

Pokey, you do a great deal of very valuable writing on this site. I've seen you deftly explain topics that haven't before been clearly summarized for beginners, and when you do so I'm greatly in your debt.

Rehashing a trite topic that's been driven into the ground, and doing so in dogmatic fashion, is frankly beneath you.