View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Things it took me a while to learn part 4, Bankroll management

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In terms of Bankroll management, what can I do to get a sick heater?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have such good understandings of the game and I'm sure your next big score is just around the corner. Honestly, I'm surprised you only have that one time big score under your belt? Or is it that you just don't practice what you preach?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I can answer that, publicly, since it may provide some insight (doubt it)?:

Well, Rocco, back last year, I basically only played cash games, for the wrong reasons, without thinking at all about the game. I had one "big score" when I luckboxed in a tourney. You could play this game for 20 years based on emotion and "competitive spirit" as opposed to logic/match and not make a buck. You could find yourself 3-betting in all the wrong spots for a year if you are so inclined.

I only started playing tournaments and actually posting/reading in SSMTT about February of this year. A couple of months I made a lot of really brash plays - I think experimentation is important to an extent. I play Part-time and have like 200 tournaments and 300 SNGs under my belt since then. Maybe the biggest problem is that I don't play enough. I also think I learn slow, but I say this with as little ego as possible, I learn well.

I'd say that I started "practicing what I preached" in July of this year. If I fall into that category of "better poster than player," well that sucks. But my plays are merging very close to my posts. And that can't be bad.

fwiw, of the 200 tourneys I've played, I've had a few "nice scores." Just not the coveted 2 - 5K, which I'd love to have and ocassionally gripe about not getting to (it would behoove me to stop the griping).

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry,

I've played MTTs for 20 months or so (not always exclusively) and I have never had a 4 figure cash. I've had two very near 4-figure cashes, but never had a 4-figure cash. Part of the reason is of course that I play in a lot of "low variance" MTTs with small fields that produce lots of cashes in 3 figure ranges. But I don't think it is all that uncommon to go 300 MTTs w/out a major cash (depending on the types of MTTs you play).

Sherman