View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 05:24 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 MLB Offseason Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I thought about a couple more points. You keep referring to DY as a five tool player, but he's horrible defensively, he's got a strong arm but no accuracy, he strikes out way too much and walks way too little, is a lousy baserunner and hasn't shown any power above AA.

DY led the entire AL in outs and GIDP this year! And he was even a little lucky on balls hit in play.

So what five "tools" are you talking about? He's got speed, but he doesn't put it to any good use. What other tools does he have? He can hit for average but it doesn't matter cause he can't get on base at any good rate (and has been lucky on balls hit in play), has shown no power against real competition, can't run decent routes, can't steal bases, and may be a head case.

There are examples like Sammy Sosa and Roberto Clemente who took a few years to figure things out, then became (likely) Hall of Famers. But if DY takes another 3 years to play like an all-star, he'll be a free agent before the Twins get any real value out of him. Why do the Twins need a project in their outfield for the next two years on the off chance he'll bloom right when they can no longer afford him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Five tools-

Hit for average-check
Hit for power-check
Run fast-check, although even the scouts predicted he'll lose his speed early.
defense-Scouts say he'll end up about average. I might be willing to give him a pass on 2007, depending on how much of his horrible defensive stats are due to his 29 games in CF. For example, the BP's stats have him at -6 in CF and -2 in RF. -2 is a little below average, but not someone I'd call horrible, especially when they are heading into their age 22 season.
arm-I don't really know where you get the no accuracy from. He's got a hose, and from what I understand, arm accuracy is one of his strengths.

Regardless of what he's produced, which is pretty damn good, the tools signify that he's got the athletisicm to be a star. The fact that he's in the bigs at age 21 and putting up a reasonable line shows that he's got the skills to be a star. When you add all that up, he's one of the best prospects around. I will readily admit, he's still a prospect. It seems like I'm the only one that realizes Garza is also just a prospect.

I wonder what players have tools as good or better than Young in the majors and minors? Once you make that list, eliminate the guys that are already stars. It's a short list, and few of those guys have put up numbers as good as Delmon at any level, let alone in major league baseball.