View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 02:18 AM

Default Re: L/C Help me. Lack of an afterlife leads me do depression.

[ QUOTE ]
Fear of death is rarely the problem. The problem is likely something else in your life that's causing you to focus on it.

There's a range of emotions we can feel in any given situation, all the way from utter despair to joy. There is usually a reason you feel one and not the other which is completely unrelated to the situation you're in. It may be a function of habits you've developed, lack of meaningful contact with others, boredom, lack of future plans, timelines developed when you were younger (causing you to freak out) and so on. None are more rational than any other - they're just a function of what's going on in our habits and belief systems, and if we want to change we have to manage these things.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to say you're totally wrong, but I doubt that's all there is to it. I've had some major depression issues in my time and always found the thought of death as a comfort rather than something depressing. Some people start having death fits as early as age four and it continues into later life. I doubt these four year olds are displacing existentialist or depression issues(?) I could be wrong.