Thread: Burning cards
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Burning cards

This is a sometimes pet peeve, and sometimes source of amusement. It's a peeve when it slows down the game.

The issue is burning cards, and the reason for doing so. The reason is so that in case the next card is marked in some way, no players in the hand will be able to tell what the next card dealt will be.

No one seems to know this basic idea though, and the ensuing hijinx are sometimes ridiculous. To wit:

- A card was dealt face up by mistake. In that case, usually everyone agrees that that will be the "burn card".

- Anxious dealers will sometimes burn and deal the turn and river cards (face down) immediately on the flop, so they have no more work to do other than flip the cards over.

- "Did I burn a card?" "I don't know, I think so." "No, I don't think he did." "Yes he did!" "No! He still needs to burn one." "Misdeal!"

The vast majority of home game players can't grasp the idea that the cards dealt are random (or are supposed to be, assuming there's no cheating.) They think the cards are supposed to come out in some predetermined magical order. If that order is messed with, ho boy! Order must be preserved. No thought given to why burn cards actually exist to begin with.