View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: serra/hughes replaced by GSP/hughes for the belt

All,

I wasn't trying to be harsh on BTYS. If anything I wanted to point out a pretty good thread in EDF, and hoped he would join it if he's a MMA fan. I really tried to phrase it in a way that would come off as un-dickish as possible. I, admittedly, am a very big nit about this stuff.

4thstreetpete,

I don't think the card's bland, and I think if Dana just replaced the fight altogether with an average fight (something like Chonan/Parisyan for the last card), I'd still be pumped for it. It's just that 1) NYE/year end shows are always really big and 2) the UFC has built up 79 as some monster event. Removing the WW title fight (given the current situation regarding titles being in limbo) would have removed a lot of luster of this being a monster card.

I've been a huge proponent of Liddell/Silva being an absolutely monster fight, and I think it might mean as much now given the current state of their careers and what this fight may mean for them. It's just lost a lot of the mystique of title vs. title, org. vs. org, #1 vs. #1a type of hype.

Since this might get some more views from MMA fans, please take a look at my blog about MMA rankings here: http://fightlines.wordpress.com/. I don't have any ads and I'm not making any money of it, but I understand if it gets removed per 2p2 rules.