Thread: The gay lisp
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 11:00 PM

Default Re: The gay lisp

Dom,

I guess the most interesting thing to me here is how much of this speech pattern is learned behavior and how much of it is that people who are inclined to speak like this due to some physical reason are highly correlated with a likelihood to be gay.

Hmmm, not sure if that really made sense.

Things I'm wondering....

How much of his is directly linked to gay identity? Take someone who grew up in Hicksville and pushed all gayness to the far corners of his being. Then this person goes to college, moves to a big city, etc. and becomes more comfortable with his sexuality and acknowledges it. Is someone like that likely to NOW pick up this speech pattern?

What about straight guys who speak in this very affected manner. I know some who I was positive were gay after meeting them, but apparently they are not. How much of a physical thing is this?

I would say about half of the gay guys I know speak with some degree of this speech pattern, maybe a little less. I'm curious as to how much of that is due to learning/adapting to a culture vs. how much is due to some physical predisposition towards speaking that way.

I guess I could answer some of these questions by asking "gay sounding" gay friends when they started to talk like that and when they identified as being gay.