View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Borgata $1K - Big Pair in BB with lots o\' limpers

Early on, 25/50, I have about 9K, starting 7K, my image would best be classified as certifiably insane at this point. Six limpers, I look down at QQ. Your action?

Two other relevant hands from the past:

1. Taj $1K event 2 years ago. 7 limpers, BB shoves for about 10X pot, everyone folds, he turns over AA. I thought to myself, "That's the dumbest play I've ever seen". Now I'm not so sure.

2. Bellagio Five Diamond $15K last year, first level, I'm down to 22K having bluffed off almost 1/3 of my chips in the first 40 minutes (which is a great feeling in a $15K event). UTG limps, I limp behind with 22, 4 other limpers, Gus Hansen makes it $750 in the BB, everyone calls. Flop comes 9 5 2, two of one suit on the board. Gus leads out for like 2200, I make it 7000, everyone folds around to Gus, who thinks for a while and moves all in. I call, Gus says, "I play so bad", and turns up AA. My hand holds.

The problem: making a huge raise UTG against many limpers when you're deep turns your hand face up and creates huge, huge implied odds for thinking opponents. It also creates the opportunity for a thinking player with position to make a move on you after the flop, putting you in a very tough spot. The solution?