View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Post a childhood memory

I remember my Dad set up a basketball hoop when I was about 7 years old. My brother, dad, grandfather and I played many 2 on 2 games over the next 5 years.

I remember my dad being an assistant coach for my little league team. He would pitch every batting practice. He set up a pitching mound in our back yard and would catch for me and my brother. Neither of us was a pitcher (or very good at baseball), but he always had time to play with us.

(Sad note -- Our first little league coach was a police officer who was killed in the line of duty by a 16 year old kid about 2 years later. There is a park named after him in my hometown.)

Another fond memory is spending Friday nights with my grandparents when I was 10-13. My grandparents would come over to the house for dinner and then I would head back with them to their mobile home. We would stay up and watch a MASH rerun at 11:30 followed by the CBS late movie. My grandfather would fall asleep and snore. I would usually fall asleep on the floor. The next day he would take me to the clubhouse to shoot pool.

Finally, I remember learning to water ski with my other grandfather. My dad took me up with him and put my feet on the skis in front of his. My grandfather waterskiied well into his 80s.

Thanks for this thread idea. I have not thought about some of these things in a while.