View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: It starts in my toes, and I cringle my nose, and smack down the ho

Don't be afraid to turn a made hand into a bluff. I think this should work often enough that it shows a nice profit. Not thinking about taking strange lines is a leak in my thought process, but it doesn't affect my hourly much, because my typical opponents are so bad that they'll call too often.

I like the part in theory of poker where david writes that everytime you consider a certain line, you should at least briefly think about what the result of a different line would be. All too often, I just utterly disregard taking certain kinds of lines, which is usually appropriate, but I think it limits my depth of thinking about poker. So in other words, blahblahchowmeow poker is usually right in soft games, but letting your thinking get sloppy is a poor way to improve your overall game and eventually move up.

You have to consider your table image, and the opponent. If the opponent is capable of folding then this is a great spot for your hand, because she should very rarely have an ace, and you are representing one perfectly.

This should even work a decent amount of the time vs. strong players, because they might think "well he obv has at least a calling hand, and now he is raising? That can't be a bluff!"

IMO, this makes value betting against strong players too much a very unattractive proposition at times, because you can get into tough spots against them. It's really quite a nightmare to sit there on the turn OOP against someone who will FSDR you a decent amount of the time.

So yeah, put her in a tough spot. If you get called, tabled your hand when she checks the river. The other players will think you are dangerous and will not want to mess around with you. This can be a recipe for getting a ton of free showdowns, free cards, and loose calls. Profit!