View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Songs with cool stories behind them

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to have to go with "Pinball Wizard," which is about a boy named Tommy who can't see, hear, or speak, yet was the best Pinball player in England. Its really exceptional and amazing. This all took place in the 1920's and 30's. I can understand that pinball machines then were not as complex as they are now and that the tilt mechanisms were not as sensitive. Still, to beat other players when you are blind is really amazing - I guess he really did become "one with the machine!" lol!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty cool, but I think the story behind "Monster Mash" is even more impressive. Apparently this mad scientist was working in his lab late one night and his monster got up and started dancing. Then a bunch of other monsters showed up and there was a big party! Really crazy stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm. That sounds made up, please provide a link or something.

Here's another one. "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks. This one is about a man who is dying and he is saying goodbye to everyone. It is heartbreaking. He actually had cancer at the time and he went on a real "farewell tour," but because of his illness, he only had energy for that one song and he only appeared as an opening act.

In any event, his "tour" lasted only five weeks, until he died. As an added layer, the song "American Pie" is about the day Terry Jacks died of cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um no:

The Day the Music Died refers to February 3, 1959, a date on which a small-plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, United States, killed three popular American rock and roll musicians: Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, as well as the pilot, Roger Peterson. The phrase was coined by Don McLean in his 1971 tribute song about the crash, "American Pie".
Contents