View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Help a tournament newbie out...

[ QUOTE ]
The shove is fine; hands you are beating are calling you, but most importantly you can not play any turn or river card and the pot isn't small enough to let get away. Folding is folding an edge and anything other than a jam is going make you play a scary turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was basically my thought process as well, and it's good to have it validated. I figured all that were left were AK-A10 and flush hunters, and that a push would chase them all out, or at least give me 70/30 odds against someone with 4 cards to the flush. And without a re-raise before the flop I figured that's what the hands out there were playing.

What I take away from this is:

1) I like the idea of betting about half the pot as an information probe, but I don't think that would work this early in the tournament... my low-level limit cash game experience is that people will call 2 or 3 raises on a flush draw. Would 1/3 to 1/4 of their stack really be enough to make most of them fold?

2) This was at worst a marginally questionable play, and at best, the right thing to do. Maybe I'm not quite as stupid at this as I think. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks all.