View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Help a tournament newbie out...

Since you play low stakes, i am assuming the buy in to this tournament does not exceed $50. That being said, in the very early levels, looks like u were in the first level, I hate going broke in marginal spots. In these low buy-in MTT's, people will GIVE you the chips, you just hafta wait for the right spot. It also depends on what kind of player you are (accumulator/solid). If you are an accumulator and your goal was to double up in the first or 2nd level then I guess, you are going to go broke with 99 on 8 high flop. But if you are just trying to play solid and chip up without much risk, i think limping the 99 and playing for set value is definitely a good option.

Raising 99 UTG is not a bad play, it may be kind of light, but the blinds are small and you can get away cheap if there is too much action.

I don't think you can check that flop with 4 players behind, all flush draws open ended draws will prob bet out and you will prob end up raising them anyways, top pair will bet out. Most likely, overpairs to your 9's will 3bet PF, but you never know, you prob havnt been at the table long enough to make that read. What is wrong with half the pot size bet? You will get plenty of information from it and if anyone shoves, (which will prob be the only reraise made considering stack sizes). I would definitely fold and move on.

You are only getting called by better hands than yourself most of the time and if someone decides to get frisky and call with only a draw and 2 overs, you are still barely a favorite.

all in all tho, I can definitely see myself going broke here, 4 callers behind sounds like a bunch of garbage is floating around the table and my hand is best.