View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Is It Possible to \"Make A Difference?\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) Helping one or more people in some way?

If yes, then to what degree, and for what length of time? For example, if I help you with your homework one time, is that enough to have made a difference in the world? How about a surgeon saving lives for 40 years? Are Einstein's accomplishments enough? Thomas Edison's? D. Sklansky? Motzart? Bill Gates? etc..

[/ QUOTE ]
I think its enough if one person's life is significantly changed as a non-flukey consequence of your action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. The question is whether one wants to make a difference that affects (positively of course) hundreds of millions of people like with curing some disease, or are content to make a big difference to handful or just one person(s). And the answer depends not just on a realistic appraisal of one's talents and likelihood of success in a bigger endeavour, but on whether one really has a goal of history remembering one. And the fact is there really aren't many persons with both the talent and opportunity to make a difference to hundreds of millions, but there are hundreds of millions who collectively can do the same thing, albeit via being just a voice in a choir instead of a solo star soprano.