View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Anything Clearly Better Than The Nautilus/Bowflex Revolution? *DEL

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, kettlebells + a full range of resistance therabands would be a pretty complete equipment set.

I'm not sure I would put my gym on the 2nd floor though. Garage would be a better choice. You need to be able to drop your weights if you have to and not worry about them going through the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. A gym is best in a basement, or garage, or a separate purpose-built building even. Anyway, at least on the first floor. On the second floor, the noise will echo all through the house. Even if there are no plates dropping, machines create more momentum than you would think, and that sets up reverb through the flooring. I mean even an exercise bike will make a ton of noise if it's not on the ground floor. Seriously. Plus those little squeaks you don't even notice on a machine while you're using it carry further than you think.

On the bands note, I like them a lot too, and have used them separately and in conjunction with kettlebells for military presses. I've even deadlifted with them. They're inexpensive and take up little room and weigh next to nothing, so are easy to move around. Heck, you can even find a million ways to use them lying on the couch watching t.v. And they're fantastically portable. Their lightness and versatility make them perfect for travelers, too. They can also help on stretching and yoga exercises. Pretty much everyone can benefit from them one way or another.