View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Flop B

[ QUOTE ]

AKA. ~75% of time we'll have double up. That's awesome and we'll be in great shape for a while. This isn't a gamble, Villain is the one 'gambling' here, we're just getting value out of our hands. If we don't do this where do you draw the line?

[/ QUOTE ]

To say that I play scared is an understatement for sure. And it's one of the many reasons I've never won a tournament (having played my 400th just the other night).

Sure, we beat the hands I put villian on (heart draw, straight draw, an overpair). Notice, I've conveniently neglected the unlikely hands that have us beat or are most likely to win (97, 95, 68, 99, 55, 77, 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and a few I might be missing).

But okay, I call the raise. Then I get horribly confused and usually don't know what to do.

Suppose the turn is a heart and villian goes all-in. Easy muck? Okay, I guess.

Suppose the turn is a heart and villian checks? Check behind? Or make a small bet?

Suppose the turn is the ace of clubs and villian bets the pot? Another easy call? Not for me.

Suppose it's another nine? Then what? If villian makes any bet, I'm worried about being counterfeited.

Suppose the turn is a total blank (deuce of spades, let's say) and villian pushes.

In short, I don't know how to play poker. That's why I like "push or fold". It's one thing having position. It's another thing to know what to do with it. Sadly, I still don't always know.

Your question "where do you draw the line?" is an excellent one. I see your point that this could be an opportunity to double-up. Since I'm a "glass is half-empty" guy, I see it as a way to blow my entire stack.