View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Cooking tips requested: Steaks (no grill) - UPDATE

The heavier the pan the better.

Cast iron pan is best.

Even better is a cast iron pan with raised grill lines.

Note that these are relatively expensive, probably $20-30 range. However, it is literally impossible to make a decent steak (or other proteins for that matter) without a heavy pan.

The main reason is you need a pan that will get hot, heat evenly, and stay hot when you put cold food on it to get the sear and caramelization which makes meat taste good.

Once you have a good cast iron pan, you can make an incredibly tasty steak very simply:

Start with a good cut. In my opinion, sirloin is the best value for what you get, but if you want something better (and more expensive) you can go for ny strip or tenderloin or what have you.

Dry the steaks with a paper towel, and then season it heavily on both sides with salt and pepper.

Heat the iron pan for a good amount of time - perhaps 5 minutes depending on the strength of your stove.

Lay the steak on the pan, and don't touch it. Don't shake the pan or move the steak around. Once it is done (about 5-8 minutes depending on thickness) turn the steak over and repeat, for another 5-8 minutes.

Once it is done, take it off the grill, and put it on a plate. Let it rest for a few minutes (this is important) and then serve.

I like my steaks rare, and find that for a 1.5" steak it takes about 6 minutes on a side.