View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Poker on Thanksgiving (LC)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd like to read that book. Our history teachers REALLY sucked 30 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
It likely hasnt changed much since then either. Its a really easy read as far as books on history go. There is an anthology called "Voices" which is an addendum to the book and features some more modern day essays. The book as a whole is sort of a mind [censored] as it really turns what you are taught in school on its head.

[/ QUOTE ]

from Wikipedia:

Writing in the Washington Post Book World, reviewer Michael Kammen, a professor of American History at Cornell, wrote: "I wish that I could pronounce Zinn's book a great success, but it is not. It is a synthesis of the radical and revisionist historiography of the past decade. . . Not only does the book read like a scissors and paste-pot job, but even less attractive, so much attention to historians, historiography and historical polemic leaves precious little space for the substance of history. . . . We do deserve a people's history; but not a singleminded, simpleminded history, too often of fools, knaves and Robin Hoods. We need a judicious people's history because the people are entitled to have their history whole; not just those parts that will anger or embarrass them. . . . If that is asking for the moon, then we will cheerfully settle for balanced history."