View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 07:58 AM

Default Re: November 14th: House Judiciary Committee Hearing Thread

3 will not happen. The costs are too huge for such a trivial
matter as remote gaming. Open-ended not complying can't happen because you cannot have any negotiated settlement on the withdrawl of committments until Antigua agrees the US complies or a panel does. Until then, the IP sanctions or whatever is granted are in force. Unless a trivial amount of damages is granted the issue will have to be dealt with.
Whats going to happen? I don't know, but it can't be ignored. Its a cost/benefit thing. Small damages would lead to negotiated withdrawls. Large damages would leave Antigua starting sanctions and Congress maybe forcing the Executive's hand. The Executive will drive what happens in the short run. Congress doesn't have the will or inclination to pass a WTO compliant bill, lets be frank about that, pun intended. The decision from the WTO is likely to be during recess anyway. So the DOJ, Treasury, and FOfuckers in residence in the White House will make all the calls. Party et al won't come back without a nod from the gangsters there.

Horseracing is not central at all to the negotiations. It served only to undermine the morals defence. The committment was to cross-border gaming. Forms and internet or not do not matter. Theres a gaming market thats being withheld that was committed open.

So we are left with Bluff's 1 or 2, and thats entirely dependant on the size of the damages. I dont think any of the negotiated settlements are binding. 3bn to Antigua and Japan and Australia will say [censored] you to the USTR. Its a magic number that determines what we get. I dont think its a pipe dream to think we will have free access to gaming providers. The US has forfeited any chance of a redacted settlement. Letting it go this far, they have made Antigua's game all or nothing. The EU, India, and China(via Macau) elephants in the room give them unprecedented bargaining power with anything resembling their level of damages. The WTO will either be a silver bullet or a big [censored] letdown. I can't even handicap it. But there won't be a muddle in its relevance to us.