View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Re: November 14th: House Judiciary Committee Hearing Thread

[ QUOTE ]
So there are actually 3 choices here for the US:

1) comply
2) don't comply but accept sanctions without reprisal (but the bill for which will be footed by various US industries)
3) neither comply nor accept sactions (retaliation that is equivalent to a trade war)

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it is nit-picking but there are mutiple variations of 2 and 3. As Prof Rose suggested, as Horseracing is perhaps the only "legal" unrestricted private run form of gambling and Antigua's potential claim shrinks to nothing thus becoming a "resolution" issue not a obstinance issue in world opinion the price for 2 becomes much cheaper.

The US has for years lead the effort to open up trade and many more conutries benifit than really back the current "piling on" to the point of using trading "force." I am not a trade expert, but I have slept in a Hilton bed in foreign countries, and remain fairly skepitical of the WTO as a silver bullet for on-line poker and even less for those with hopes of unrestricted on-line gaming, let alone the "pipe dream" IMO of unrestricted profesional sports betting.

But hey, I have had and do have teenagers, I'm used to being told "I don't have a clue..."

D$D