View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: September\'s Bells and Schools Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I use 'retarded' quite often regarding poker players and plays. It seems about as precise and pithy a word as I can think of. If someone finds it offensive then they're probably just gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like this mentality accurately expresses the way i feel about word choice around close friends. (they know i am not a hateful or bigoted person, so i feel free to use offensive words because my friends will understand the intent).

around new people, you can very quickly judge whether or not somoene will be bothered by the use of the word "retarded," "gay," "bitch," and on down the line. use discretion based on that judgment. it's pretty simple to avoid offending people as long as you hold back a little until you know them better.

[/ QUOTE ]

What mitigates against this being as easy as you say is that some people whip out the political correctness gambit very opportunistically, especially when mad. People who have cursed around you and said all kinds of things may sometimes instantly change to prudes if they think they can get some mileage off it. I've seen this with women more than men, who will sometimes try to swing the "fairer sex" crap in. I've had more than one try this with me, and my response has been something along the lines of, "As many times as I've heard you say eff this or that, it's a little late to get all delicate now."

People won't avoid trying stuff just because it's stupid.