View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Re: September\'s Bells and Schools Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. It's not fair nor kind to attribute harmful intent casually. Even worse when that is taken as a flimsy pretext for one's own attacks. Such attacks are by definition overcompensating, but peculiar to some of the fondest celebrants of political correctness is the degree to which they are willing to aggress against others when they find a real or imagined infraction. The delight I've seen some PC types exhibit over the chance to leap in and bludgeon some hapless stranger has been repugnant.

[/ QUOTE ]

The people you describe are of course being the opposite of politically correct. If we accept the definition of political correctness to be both accurate and civilized in your speaking of your opinion. Therefore they are not PC types, they are hypocritical, righteous, self esteem issued, two faced douchebags.
You've mentioned it a couple of times, I'd be curious where you might be encountering this behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's entirely a matter of opinion. They think they're politically correct. Importantly, whether you like being a douchebag or not, being a douchebag is not an argument against being politically correct. Tne two are not even close to mutually exclusive. Aye, and there's the rub.

I've noticed this among my friends who think they are more high-minded than they really are. Some who have real trouble with race -- though they are quite oblivious of this and would swear to the contrary -- and very few non-white friends, and who seem to take it as a particular point of pride when they do, are among the most politically correct. And FWIW, I think being high-minded must include not being a douchebag, or at least giving not being one a pretty fair shot. Being a douchebag by trying to publicly shame others and bring to the fore relative non-events of speech at others' expense seems to me to relinquish any standing they have as to measure, judgment, and non-douchebagginess.