View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:45 AM

Default disputing a visa debit charge for poker-has anyone done this before?

This is my first post, and I just want to begin by saying this is a great forum. Now for my problem. I share a visa debit card with someone in my household, and this card is linked to our checking account. While going over the bank statement, I see several charges I know nothing of, but total almost 2 thousand dollars. Long story short, I call the bank, who give me the names of "merchants" from various states, some with phone numbers, for which the charges arose. I call a number, and speak to someone who tells me nothing other than he processes credit cards for online
"merchants."

I confront my man, who refuses to admit he played on a online poker site, (but I now am sure of it)which brings me to this forum. Being that Visa doesn't legally allow this, when I visit my branch to file a claim, I am certain I wont have to be responsible for these debits. Anyone else ever find themself in this boat I am in? If so, please post. The only research I found so far is this:http://www.ibls.com/internet_law_new...ws&id=1772

And please, don't be judgemental here about how I should just accept the loss if I know the guy played online--I already thought about this myself. The bottom line is that if it's illegal for Visa to be used for this purpose, why should I be penalized because some merchant/site decided to try and break the law to get/launder money?