View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Nutrition Questions and Dietary Fads

[ QUOTE ]

Katy, I am probably equally as skeptical as you when it comes to all these dietary rules that are thrown around, specifically regarding the 8 glasses of water a day. I had a biology teacher in college who told us that when this specification was originally presented, it actually read something along the lines of "the human body needs 8 classes (64 oz) of water per day, most of which we get from food. " He was a little weird, but I've always wondered if this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I've read the same thing, that a lot of our water comes from our diet (fruits, vegetables, juice, milkshakes, etc) so adding 8 glasses of water on top of that might be a little overkill. I read that you should just drink when you're feeling thirsty.

I'll tell you what a hypocrite I am though. After making such a big deal about this water thing (and scoffing at all my family members for the last 10 years) I did a complete reversal. A couple weeks ago after I made this thread I glanced at myself in my car mirror one morning and I was shocked. Let me tell you I looked like hell!! The very first thing that popped into my mind was man I really need to start drinking more water. Probably just dehydrated [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. (I swear that is actually what I thought [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])