View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Nutrition Questions and Dietary Fads

[ QUOTE ]
What about the latest diet fad, the first FDA approved diet pill, Alli?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take this. For the person who was questioning it's efficacy, the theory behind the pill is this: it causes the body to not absorb 25% of fat calories consumed. If you eat 1500 calories a day, and 30% of them are from fat, then that is 125 calories that you're essentially shaving off of your diet. As far as I can tell, the side effects are pretty nonexistent unless you go around eating fried food and cheese. The basic rule of thumb is that if a meal is < 15 grams of fat, you will have no ill side effects.

Katy, I am probably equally as skeptical as you when it comes to all these dietary rules that are thrown around, specifically regarding the 8 glasses of water a day. I had a biology teacher in college who told us that when this specification was originally presented, it actually read something along the lines of "the human body needs 8 classes (64 oz) of water per day, most of which we get from food. " He was a little weird, but I've always wondered if this is true. I have noticed, as others have said, that drinking a lot of water makes me feel energized, but I wonder if this can be attributed to the cooling effects of a glass of ice water? I really don't know.