View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Car Insurance Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty stoked about this, but at the same time I have always found it a bit troubling that the state forces us to have insurance and the rates are generally so insanely high. It seems like theyre kind of subsidizing the insurance companies with this law, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about the States but in Canada we only need to buy 3rd party insurance which is pretty minimal. I'm pretty sure that is the same in the States. Your coverage seems to be much higher then what would be legislatively required by law.

[/ QUOTE ]

We pay more in the US because courts like to award people large amounts of $$ for stuff like pain & suffering. Your rates will be determined by: your age, car you have, where you live (which factors in accident frequency/high traffic patterns/legal system attitude towards lawsuits).

You can save $$ by combining auto & renters/home ins and save as much as 10-20%.

And most state laws don't require insurance, just proof of financial responsibility and some sort of funding to meet the minimum requirements....you can keep a separate account with at least $10,000 (will vary by state) waiting to pay if/when you hit someone. Or you can carry an insurance policy for a lesser rate.