View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Concert Review: Velvet Revolver and Alice in Chains Las Vegas

I saw these guys a couple weeks ago in Albuquerque. Excellent concert. Alice in Chains didn't play as long as I wanted them to, but that's okay. Yes, Duvall is a good lead singer, and sang things a little differently than Layne Staley, but other than that, it was definitely Alice in Chains. Before Velvet Revolver came on stage, they played "Straight Outta Compton" for a couple verses. Totally took me by surprise, it was funny as hell.

Slash, Duff, and Matt did their usual awesome performance. It was worth the ticket just to see Slash do a solo in the middle of the concert. Scott Weiland took some getting used to. He'd sing into a megaphone, as was appropriate for songs like Sucker Train Blues, but it got kind of annoying. He pranced around like he was Mick Jagger or something. Don't know if that's normal for him or what. He is one rail thin dude though. I appreciated that they weren't afraid to play old GNR and STP songs like Mr. Brownstone, Patience, and Plush. Very cool.

One thing I thought was interesting is that they didn't come close to selling out. It was the smallest crowd I had ever seen there. Sure, it was a Tuesday night, and that may explain it....but Albuquerque usually loves this kind of music. Security roped off the entire back lawn section of Journal Pavilion and moved everyone up. I had never seen that before. Great for us, but I'm sure the bands were disappointed. Oh well.

ScottieK