View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Re: **uNL Concept of the week: Week 5, Reverse Implied Odds**

Well I sure wish I read this thread a couple of hours ago.

Here's a pretty good example of what happens when you ignore the implications of reverse implied odds. Sorry about the non-supported hand history, I'll try to clean it up.

Villain is the first halfway decent player that I've seen at these stakes. His preflop aggression is way lower than what it should be for 5-max (which factors into his hand ranges), but he's fairly sound postflop and has taken some donks to valuetown. The rest are fairly standard $10NL donks.

$10 NL (5 Players)

Villain is UTG ($17.40)
CO ($15.93)
Button ($4.11)
SB ($3.75)
Hero is BB ($18.90)

Preflop Hero is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Villain calls ($0.10), CO calls ($0.10), Button calls ($0.10), SB folds, <font color="red"> Hero raises to $0.70 </font> , Villain calls, 2 folds.

Flop ($1.65) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (2 Players) </font>
<font color="red"> Hero Bets ($1.60) </font> , Villain calls.

Turn ($4.61) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (2 Players) </font>
<font color="red"> Hero Checks</font>, Villain bets ($4.10), <font color="red"> Hero Folds</font>

I think that I ignored RIO at two points in this hand, preflop and the flop.

My rationale behind the large raise preflop was to take down the limpers, which I had done a couple times successfully this session already. However, I was in position with those hands, and AQo is a hand that plays really poorly OOP because of reverse implied odds. Lets see why!

I get called in one spot and I hit TPTK on a very suspect flop. This is a classic RIO spot, I think, and the cbet was a bad idea. If villain had 66-88 or AK or something else that missed, he folds and I scoop a small pot. If he re-raises me, I have to fold, and if he calls it's even worse as there are approximately infinity cards that kill my hand on the turn. In hindsight, I probably wasn't even ahead of villains range with TPTK here, and if so it wasn't by much. Win a little, lose a lot.

So villain calls and the turn comes a king. I'm now behind everything but low pocket pairs, very unlikely given the action and the fact that UTG isn't an idiot. There is really nothing here that I can do but check and fold.

Another thing to note was that RIO hurt even more when you're somewhat deepstacked like I was here, 180bb deep.

So nice post EC, it was just a little too late.