View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: surfdoc is in the well

[ QUOTE ]
wow doc, you're basically what i want to be when i grow up (except I want to be a neurologist). are you from cali?

anyways a few questions for you:

1) how did you get into poker? you said you started playing 5 years ago, which seems pretty late as a lot of us i think start while we're still in school.

2) what were some of the adjustments you made as you moved up in limits?

3) what do you think are the most important traits a limit poker player should have?

4) What do you think is the most profitable playing style? I've experimented with playing LAG vs TAG and right now i'm leaning towards the TAG side. Or maybe it differs from table to table?

5) (non poker related) Do you know what med schools in California are best for neurology?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Well, I played a lot of poker in high school and college but it wasn't serious. I didn't study the game. 5 years is roughly how long I have been playing every day. I have always had difficulty with sleep cycles and I started playing at oceans 11 on the night after I worked my string of nights. This was important to keep me awake until at least midnight since falling asleep in front of the TV at 8 would result in me waking up at 2am and being totally screwed by having to turn around for a 9 am shift. Poker was basically the only thing stimulating enough to keep me awake. I used to play stud8 and realized that there was money to be made just through common sense and tilt avoidance. That's when the lightbulb went off, I started reading all the books and posting on 2p2, swtiched to holdem and that was it.

2. As you go up in limits, the biggest adjustment is dealing with the aggression. This is especially true online. The call button is your friend.

3. I think those that can avoid tilt, game select well, seat select well, and recognize the need for constant self re-evaluation will always be successful in poker.

4. I think the most profitable style is the one that you are comfortable with and good at. This without a doubt will depend on the table and being able to change gears will be optimal. Many players don't have the postflop skill to play as many hands as say stox would suggest and will burn up their rolls very quickly. I think Tommy Angelo was the one who said "I'd rather be weak-tight than loose broke." I tend to keep that one in mind when people accuse me of playing too tight. Gradually adding hands that you can play profitably will almost always be better as you are developing than trying to come out of the gate trying to be a bona fide LAG. Many of my friends started off on different sides of the middle and we are all starting to gravitate back toward the center.

5. Neurolgy has historically been a less desirable field and therfore a bit easier to land a spot in the match. You really want to know which residency programs are best since the medical school is not as important. Maybe a younger doc like ssmallz will know better than me. As far as med school, I suggest you go to the best and cheapest one you can find. If you can get into UC anything that would be awesome. I trained at UC Davis but being in Socal with waves was always a priority. Never leaving unless the throw me out.