View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Law School and Math/Business Combo?

[ QUOTE ]
I was a math guy who went to law school because I wanted to be Clarence Darrow. I know a few JD/MBAs, IMO having 2 grad degrees doesn't help much in obtaining a job out of school, the only purpose would be long term -- e.g., you can understand the legal issues better when you're running your own hedge fund type of thing. A law degree can be useful in the business arena (although whether it would be worth the time and cost I'm not qualified to say), a math/business degree is not going to be very useful in practicing law. In terms of which to do, I quickly learned that practicing law is a business like any other, and one which is not nearly as lucrative as the finance careers pursued by my college classmates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very grounding reply. Well, when you say finance careers refering to your classmates, you mean investment bankers or more quantitative disciplines? And I'm not sure who Clarence Darrow is, perhaps beyond my time....not that I'm calling you old [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

So basically you're saying then, having a law degree while pursuing a math career may only save you some money, and having a math degree while pursuing a legal career probably will not create more financial opportunity in the field, but may open more doors in terms of tasks they can basically throw at you to save themselves some money?

I guess that's not really exactly what you're saying but is what I'm kinda extrapolating from what it seems you're saying.