View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Is Neo-Atheism The Way to Go? [Poll]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how or why the prefix "neo" is used. Most likely because it's come to stand for the new-age atheist who is more outspoken.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure either, although I generally lump one "neo" in with the next, neo-con, neo-atheist, neo-nazi.

Neo has become synonymous with rude, intolerant, and downright nasty people, and I think in many cases with the term neo-atheist, it fits like a glove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a good thing you dont mock people. I knew we'd find the contents of your list somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not mockery, it's an opinion. "Atheists are idiots" is a mockery. And note, I wasn't even referring to most atheists, just the ones who feel they must shove their particular non belief system down others throats, while at the same time attacking religious people from doing the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've got a lot of us all wrong. It's not a matter of shoving our non-belief systems down other people's throat. People are free to believe whatever they want. But when you tell me of your belief that the mothership will be here soon to pick you up, I reserve the right to laugh and tell you that's a most ridiculous thing to say.

As Sam Harris puts it: Atheism is simply the noise rational people make in the face of unfounded and irrational claims. There's not much more to it than that.