View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Science Education in America: Why I\'m Homeschooling My Kid in Scie

[ QUOTE ]
But just because your position happens to be the status quo doesn't mean you aren't making a positive claim. By supporting the state system, you are supporting limiting my choices. In order to justify this, you need to show that it is the only possible way to provide quality information. All the ACists are saying is that it is wrong to tax for education, so if you plan on doing it you had better, at the very least, demonstrate how it is far superior to any product that the market could provide.

You have the huge status quo advantage, but that isn't a trump card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was waiting for the standard AC calling card. It goes like this:

1. Assert that a private system can do vastly better than a public system
2. Don't provide any evidence when challenged
3. When that's lost, say "taxes are evil...unless the public system is WAY better, we should go private"
4. Say "even if it's WAY better, what right to you have to steal and extort from me?? AC FTW"

This happens in every freaking thread, and it's why you guys deserve zero respect.

The question here is OP's claim that a private system will solve the education crisis in America and produce very favorable educational outcomes, as well as the question of whether the public system is irreparably broken, or if it can be fixed. Not about whether taxes are evil.

[ QUOTE ]
All the ACists are saying is that it is wrong to tax for education

[/ QUOTE ]
No, that isn't all that they're saying. Read their claims in this thread...I even listed their claims in the OP you quote.