View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Suggested plan to leverage the WTO issue in the senate

Here is a rough draft of a letter I plan on sending to my US reps and the US trade rep.

The Honorable Susan Schwab
United States Trade Representative
600 17th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20508

Dear Ambassador Schwab:

I am writing concerning the decision by the WTO on the case brought by Antigua and Barbuda against the United States entitled: “Measure Affecting the Cross-Border Supply of Gambling and Better Services” (WT/DS285). The WTO Appellate Body has found that the U.S. is not in compliance with its WTO obligations with respect to the provision of remote gambling services. Antigua, Costa Rica and the European Union are seeking or planning to seek billions in compensation. My understanding is Antigua has asked the trade body to target American Trademarks and Copyrights if the U.S. refuses to comply.

Besides facing sanctions, failure to comply with the WTO ruling will ruin our credibility around the world. If we refuse to comply, we are setting an example for every other country to follow. When we seek to press countries like China regarding their violations on a wide range of important issues including copyright violations, how can we expect them to comply if we do not lead by example and abide by the rulings of the WTO?

The best type of leadership is done by those who lead by example. I hope the United States steps up and abides by the ruling of the World Trade Organization regarding remote gaming.

Sincerely,