View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Suggested plan to leverage the WTO issue in the senate

I'm not sure we are going to see anything WTO-wise again until July 24th or so. From what I have seen and read, everything that transpires is flat against deadlines and meetings. That day is when Antigua's sanction request is heard. I think before any senator touches gambling with a ten foot amendment, real pain is going to have be staring a constituent industry in the face. As much as we want it to be a silver bullet, the WTO is still a long run bet. Something has to give, but Bush can stall it the rest of his term I am afraid. The Senate only ratifies treaties, and we are already in the WTO. It is out of their hands now, enforcement or bringing us inline with a treaty is an executive matter.
The other problem is the Senate Finance Committee itself, where this has to originate. Kyl is on it. Trent Lott is as well, and Kyl and Lott are soulmates. Jim Bunning would [censored] his pants if the Senate endorsed sports betting online, and he is on it as well. I don't know Max Baucus very well, he is the chairman, but Rockerfeller is on the Finance committee. I think Schumer is the most recognizable Senator in the majority on the committee. What I have heard from him on gambling isn't good, and if the banks are lobbying, he should be a target for them. OUr only hope form the Senate is in a conference committee with the House, and then a fast vote on a must pass. Kyl can block anything else in committee, well before a floor vote. When I think of pleasant thoughts of things to come, I like to think of Kyl seeing a net gaming regulation provision in a conference committee(he would be on it as he is 3 or 4 in the Rep Caucus), that he is powerless to stop.